Thursday, December 17, 2009

High Notes in Low Places

While walking through a less-than-reputable part of downtown named Printer's Alley, I noticed one of the adult entertainment clubs had constructed a new video screen to advertise their wares. Indecent bits were kept hidden, and much of it was flourescent graphics to catch eyes of unsuspecting pedestrians. The advertisement that caught me was for Naked Karaoke.

Yes, I live in Nashville, where singers are a dime a dozen, and in this recession, you can probably get a second dozen for free. Though I once experimented performing karaoke in Dallas, I'll never take an open microphone here because people take it too seriously. People move here all the time to pursue music ambitions. My wife sings. I've been known to belt a tune in the shower (though not the showers at work).

But naked karaoke? I'm so curious.

1. Do the performers start the song naked, or are they supposed to strip during their serenades? Must they pace themselves so their intimates aren't on display until the high note in the bridge?

2. Do they have to sign up with the club beforehand, or are audience members encouraged to participate? Would your friends egg you on to get on stage and let your inhibitions (and your undergarments) go?

3. While I suspect the songs are largely thought out beforehand, can you bring your own track? I'm not interested in singing "I Want You to Want Me", "Just a Gigolo", or "I Touch Myself." But I can do a mean Phil Collins "Another Day in Paradise."

4. If you pay extra, can you be individually serenaded, or must you go to a special room for a lap song and dance?

I'll never venture inside the place, so all of these questions will end unanswered for me. I do, however, have one last inquiry: when is LaserQuest going to jump on this train?

No comments:

Post a Comment