Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No Tagbacks

Blogger's suggested labels for this post, and I'm guessing for all posts, are "scooters, vacation, fall." Why those three words? Did the creator of this site know I called my youngest son Scooter? Is he aware that we recently had to cancel a trip to Florida and run a staycation instead? Is his favorite season autumn? Or -

Whenever I go on vacation, one of the things my wife and I enjoy is seeing the city. Not the standard sightseer route, visiting memorials, landmarks, and architectural oddities. Instead, we rent a Vespa scooter and she holds onto me as we zoom down the streets and get a tourist's eye view on our surroundings. It's so much easier when the burden of finding a parking spot for a rental car is alleviated. When the streets are full, I simply turn the bike sideways and park it between two other vehicles. This was a great strategy until our latest excursion, when the backroads I attempted to navigate were peppered with potholes. Les bounced behind me on the seat, but she hung on, squeezing tighter and tighter with every jolt. An intelligent driver would've slowed down on such a street, but I enjoyed the sensation and if it encouraged her to hug, even better. I didn't realize how she was unintentionally cutting off my oxygen until things suddenly became very hazy. I think I blacked out. Which is never a good thing when driving a scooter. The Vespa flipped forward and sideways, catapulting both Les and myself into an agonizing sequence of unsynchronized flailing. It was the worst fall I'd ever endured.

Tags: scooters, vacation, fall.

Close?

No comments:

Post a Comment