Thursday, October 8, 2009

Self-Unjustification

One of the topics of last night's conversation between my wife and myself was this blog and the title thereof. She claimed it wasn't very inviting. Plus, once you reach the blog, you have no idea what you're looking at. I responded that the common theme is comedy, though there are sparks of commentary on blogging itself. All in all, I compared myself to Dave Barry (minus the boilerplating), Woody Allen, and Steve Martin. Absurdist humor, like my two men/table/gun/watermelon sketches. Then I recognized how I compared myself to three highly successful, bestseller-writing authors and millionaires. Which means either I'm on a track to success, or I'm pretentious and delusional. I tend to believe the latter.

It's a writer's notebook, providing a launch point for ideas to form/coagulate. More importantly, it's a venue to blog about the annoyance of attention whores screaming "LOOK AT ME! I'M BLOGGING! I BLOG! I'M BLOGGING!" (Picture Bill Murray tethered to a computer.) Which cycles around yet again to the title of this site.

If I wanted a bigger following or varied feedback, I could post these entries on Facebook, because then I'd have 250+ people ignoring me rather than only six. I could use StoryMash to post, but that'd break my self-imposed rule to... I don't really have any self-imposed rules, there. I rag on people who post un-fiction ("non-fiction" doesn't seem to encapsulate what I'm doing here).

This site will never go viral. Maybe, if I'm lucky, it can at least go bacterial.

No comments:

Post a Comment