Thursday, June 25, 2009

100 Degrees of Showeration

Work has introduced a health program: better eating, more workouts, even a regular walking group during Friday lunches. I exercise plenty already - disc golf on weekends, basketball Tuesday and Thursday mornings, hitting the gym with friends the other three weekday mornings, volleyball Friday nights, yoga Wednesdays, occasional pickup ultimate frisbee, softball, or football games, plus chasing around three boys while I'm home... It's a wonder I'm not on the cover of fitness magazines. But that's not my point.

Because I exercise in the mornings before work, I arrive at my law firm in shorts and a T-shirt, set my day in motion for a half hour at my desk (sweating up my area for good measure), then I use the firm showers, which were probably set up for attorneys who felt required to bill overnighters and camp in the building. And that's not my point either.

I crank the water to a nearly boiling temperature, wince as I enter, and spend an unhealthy fifteen minutes melting skin follicles off my body. I'm too cheap (and usually late) to spend that much time in my home shower, but on someone else's water bill? Not a problem. Even if I'm farmer-sunburned (sleeves and collar), I don't compromise my boil-a-thon. I'll rotate so my scalp, my shoulders, or the back of my neck endures the direct hit - I can't bear that much heat on my face beyond the trickle down - and, like a frog in a frying pan, once my body adapts, I'll nudge the dial a little further towards H. This can't be good for me. And yet, the torturous temperature stall is more inspiring than the workouts themselves. (I haven't yet located the zen of exercising without a ball or disc; if friends weren't there to trash talk me through my kvetching/lifting, I'd quit.)

Hmm. I think that my point was somewhere in that last paragraph, though I'm unwilling to study it long enough to phrase it better. Steaming Shower = divine. Is that a point?

No comments:

Post a Comment