Monday, June 29, 2009

L'Reason d'etre

I had an entire weekend to decide if/how I want to direct this blog, and the only conclusion I definitively reached is that I’m not writing on weekends. A stretch to call that progress, no?

As I’ve told only my sister about it (and Amy has found it on her own, congrats), I could use this as a diary to divulge my innermost feelings about the [physical, mental, emotional and spiritual] health status of my family, both immediate and in-laws. God knows there’s plenty to discuss – seems as if someone named Becker or Parrish is running a tab at the nearest hospital; I recently hit my annual deductible on my HDHP, so I can finally get my septum un-deviated free of charge; I’ve learned more about dairy-free (and briefly Gluten-free) diets than I ever care to retain. But what’s the point, besides keeping a journal to find dates, doctor’s names, and medical records? Isn’t that what EOBs and overpriced psychiatrists are for? Thanks, pass.

I could use this to critique the latest movies I see – I already maintain a document with 241 entries and counting. I regularly flex my Netflix, and that would supply sufficient fodder for at least one entry (and probably more) per week. Again: motivation, where is thy sting?

Fiction? What’s the point in stringing a free serial here, when I submit to StoryMash and can make pennies on the month for it? (For the price of a cup of coffee every day, I can support a child in a third world wasteland. Unfortunately for those starving, faceless masses, I don’t drink coffee.) I’ll stick to my big fish in StoryMash’s small pond.

Expertise on disc golf/board games/NFL football? Perhaps I’ll run my Kitty Pool through this site, but I doubt it. And if I reveal my secrets here where no one reads it, what’s the point of revealing secrets?

How to maintain the advantage of anonymity while soliciting feedback? No, wait - that question is all wrong. Isn’t the point of blogging to get reactions and comments? Update the universe on my significance? Exploit my cleverness and achieve my dreams of national recognition when someone discovers this via their google search for “brilliance”?

Methinks I’ll stick to writing words and not worrying about context. It’s easy for me to run on for seven paragraphs and have said next to nothing. Call it a gift. Safely packaged in bubble wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment