Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hobbling Punchlines

I read 600 comic strips yesterday, the entire anthology of xkcd.com. Geektastic! Oddly, I also wandered upon a coworker with one of the unfunniest comeback quips in a long time. Specifically, "That's gotta hurt." It ranks up there with "That's gonna leave a mark" and it's kin: "That's what she said." And yet there are people who, I swear, wander through life in search of the proper set ups to unleash their so-far-beyond-trite-it-was-funny-and-it's-reached-unfunny-again zingers.

For the record, yesterday's set up was created by steering a conversation toward bowling. One peer stated her husband was a serious bowling addict, that he averages about 210, and that he's got soooo much stuff - "Heck, he's got bowling balls out the wazoo."

(So what if I laughed.)

1 comment:

  1. I was introduced to xkcd.com by my best friend last month. Love it.

    ReplyDelete