Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Minor Debates

What would I rather have: a guitar or a pizza?

It's not a fair question. I have a guitar. Not on my person, but I own one. It rarely escapes the case and even rarelier (rarerly?) attempts a song. It's useful if we have a visitor who plays guitar, though they usually feel awkward about using someone else's instrument while they don't play anything. I could learn to play the thing, if only I had the time, discipline, and care. And we got Shu a guitar for Christmas, so now's as good a time as any to figure out how to strum.

On the other hand, I know what to do with a pizza. It's an immediate gratification with little long-term satisfaction, but that brief moment of taste is splendiforous. (Strangely, the pizza has longer-enduring echoes than a guitar.) I can share pizza with a friend without them covering their ears. (In the interest of full disclosure, there have been moments when they've covered their eyes.)

Moreover, I don't currently have a pizza. I can procure one easier than a guitar (yeah, even in Nashville), and the saucy cheesebread is considerably cheaper than the musical instrument. While my wife encourages me to learn how to use a pick, she's never once appreciated the music I've created with a pizza.

Having both a guitar and a pizza feels excessive and greedy, but that's a burden I'll have to carry with me. Now excuse me while I go drink my harmonica.

No comments:

Post a Comment