Thursday, January 7, 2010

We Ain't Got Jack, Frost

The only reason I like the cold is for snow.
The only reason I like the snow is for skiing.
Once it drops below 45 degrees, if I'm not plummeting recklessly down a mountainside with unsafely waxed planks precariously attached to my feet, something's amiss.

I can't count the number of times people have felt it necessary to remind me I'm from Philly, a city (unknown to me) considered arctic by Nash Vegas natives. Tennessee and Pennsylvania share the same weather, for the most part. Philly holds winter a little longer, whereas the south holds out for a few additional weeks of summer. But the highs and lows between the two cities are usually separated by five degrees. 60 and 65 feel the same on a thermometer, the same way they feel the same on a highway. It's different inside a house for extended periods of time, sure, but meteorologists rarely bother with interior forecasts. Odd, that.

Besides, I moved south. If I enjoyed the cold so much, I'd've relocated to Canada. I've lived in three cities besides my hometown: Savannah, GA, Tempe, AZ, and now Nashville. I suppose I'm destined to eventually retire in SoFla or back in Phoenix.

Last night, Metro schools were closed due to snow. Mind you, none had accumulated yet. In fact, a single flake hadn't yet fallen (unless you wish to count the weatherman's unfortunate uncoordination off-set). They declared a snow day strictly on potential of snow.

I'd like to figure out ways we can incorporate this into other areas of my life. If you've any suggestions on stupid predictions leading to gift vacation days, I'm open to suggestions. Simply send them in envelopes, along with large sums of American currency. Yeah, they claim you're not supposed to send cash through the post office, but they'll need something to do through the rain, sleet, hail and snow while everyone else is at home eating french toast with all the eggs, bread and milk in every local supermarket.

Which leads to my inquiry: do mailmen wish they were public school teachers or vice versa?

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I wish I had some witty to say. Weather here (PA) has been a little crazy with our 20 some inches of snow. So this last storm we had it was 2 or 3 inches and schools were open with no problem. They figure we can get through almost 2 feet what is 2 inches. I bet the kids around wish there were in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete