Monday, February 8, 2010

Book Club

There's a sketch about a book club where some guy in full eskimo gear beats the crap out of some hardback with a photo of a baby seal on it. Actually, there's not a skit and the more I think about it, the less I think it'd be worth making one. Just as well.

A friend I've not seen in years has now authored three books. Catching up with him was great, and he refused to let me leave without a copy of his latest, The Sacredness of Questioning Everything. (Douglas Adams may have used the same title for an entirely different work.) It's heavy reading, which is to say I have to read one page, reread it, and sometimes try a third run before digesting its meaning. I tend to be a fast reader, so thick text like this frustrates me. Even so, I intend to make a genuine effort to read the booger. (Probably the only time Dave's book will be referred to as "the booger".) Another friend informed me he has the audio version of the book, so I'm hoping I can get my hands on it and listen to it repeatedly. No clue if it'll sink in any better that way. I'm more of an experential learner. Which is to say I know very little.

Besides Dave's book, I'm also reading a few others:

Every Man's Marriage, which is kind of a sequel to Every Man's Struggle. I'm 130 pages into the 275-pager, and Les and I would both be happier if I completed it and put the plans of action into less plans and more actions. EMM somewhat inspired me to write Decade Old Diary, though I've lacked the inspiration to pick EMM up since then. Hmm.

Max Lucado's Cure for the Common Life (on page 37 of 210). Would I consider my life common? Will the recent sickness in my house, was I more attracted by the word "Cure?" Should Robert Smith have written the forward? This is more the quick-n-easy coffee table spiritual theology read I'm comfortable with, and it's possibly the one I'll finish first. Once I finally, y'know, devote any time to reading.

And Here's the Kicker, a collection of interviews with comedy writers by Mike Sacks (page 149 of 335). Similar to The First Time I Got Paid for It, a collection of essays by established Hollywood scriptwriters, I find these somehow motivating. And mostly frustrating.

I feel like I'm reading fiction somewhere as well, but I can't remember where or what. Ah well. There's always the comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment