Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Another Use for Rick Astley (not that you wanted one)

I'd like to take a moment to dissect one of my favorite songs.

There. Now that that's out of the way, I can get to this blog.

One of my favorite musical gimmicks is simultaneous melodies. Take a singer or three and have each of them singing something independently from the others - not just harmonies, but their own parts. Think of Toad the Wet Sprocket's Butterflies, or more famously, Paul McCartney's Silly Love Songs.

At some point, I have to believe some audio-techno-wiz will figure out how to completely intertwine two songs into a new creation greater than the sum of its parts. Don't stop at solo artists or bands (as 3/4 of The Spin Doctors songs could have overlapped without anyone noticing). Instead of sampling a riff, layer entire verses. Kind of like the Duets albums featuring Frank Sinatra or Natalie Cole singing with her old man. Except they wouldn't be singing the same songs. What combinations would work? If nothing additional was added, would the tech guy get the credit for matching beats/keys?

I always wanted to hear a Sade/Seal duet, and though I've no clue which songs of theirs would work for such a format, I've got to believe it's possible. Until someone with more brains and equipment than me comes along, I guess I'll have to rely on playing two CDs at the same time. It's not the same thing. In fact, it kinda sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment