Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Aspirations Toward Mediocrity

Does it matter that I'm blogging in a different time zone than I'm sitting? I should pay attention to when this posts, so I can determine where cyber-me resides.

Last night, I concocted Gil the Ghoul because I was bored. Plus, my sister is reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Plus, the Twilight series has spawned a plethora of wannabe authors who romanticize the supernatural, especially vampires. Zombies have always gotten a bum rap. I'm not sure Gil will level the scales towards ghoul-sympathy, but the ideas flowed freely and I amassed enough material to write for a few weeks. Unlike this blog, which I've barely advertised, I sent out several dozen friend requests from Gil. Thus far, one confirmed. Disappointing, but I expect with the rampant suspicion of internet scams and viruses, people don't want to involve themselves in anything shady. And I haven't posted a picture yet.

So if you're on Facebook and you happen to read this, please send Gilthe Ghoul (they wouldn't let me use Gil The Ghoul) a Friend Request. He'll post at least three notes weekly, and I hope they'll be as entertaining as I thought they were last night. Unless they're the fleeting comedies that aren't funny to anyone but myself. (Or not even myself, if the inspirations were false humor - much like false labor, they bear no real fruit.)

Eventually, I'll announce on StoryMash (and maybe my regular Facebook) that I'm maintaining this stupid journal. Before I do, I wanted to build a backlog - at least 30 entries - so it wouldn't look like yet another novelty with no follow through. Today's note is #18 and I don't post on weekends, so I'm looking at August. By that point, will the attempted joke alter-ego be as dead as every other zombie?

(Minor note: According to the time stamp, I'm posting from the west coast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment