Friday, July 3, 2009

Teachers and Pupils

I'm left-eye dominant, which forced me to learn how to shoot a bow left-handed. Not that anyone forced me to learn how to shoot a bow. Rifles, too. Fortunately, guns and bows (at least the ones I learned on) aren't crafted favoring handedness. Unfortunately, my right hand is considerably steadier than my left. Credit that to years of tennis, frisbee, baseball, and a variety of other sports (see stupid exercise post) that predominantly use my right hand. My left arm is basically used as a counterweight so I don't walk in circles. Oh, and I aim left handed when I pee.

I understand the concept of depth perception - I've even experimented with closing one eye while I drive. It's remarkable how unnerving it can be to lose my sense of perspective. (No doubt other highway drivers are unsettled at my riding their bumpers while winking at them.) What's most disappointing is how my vision has compromised for softball. What used to be routine pop flies now look like highlights because I have to make ridiculous catches to make up for my poor reads.

Eerie moment: My co-worker just now told me she read an article on Fox News claiming "Blind Man Now Sees After Implementing Tooth in Eye." This, after I considered titling this "And a tooth for a tooth..." And it deals with vision.

It's like the not-really-deja-vu when I accurately predict the next artist to play on a radio station. I've done it a handful of times, and it's a freak coincidence. Or I'm a freak. Something or other like that.

All this to say: don't play baseball if archers or armed rednecks in the stands are waiting to shoot skeet with line drives. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment