Thursday, July 9, 2009

Not Enough Of It

Is there any worthier procrastination than "something else"?

My self-imposed deadline for rewriting a 10,000-word story is tomorrow. Thus far, I'm still in three digit territory. I have the rough draft and much of it will be copying, pasting, and applying a light paintbrush. Sure, sure, I don't like the current ending segment so I need to concoct a new resolution, and that has caused me great trepidation. In light of that, I continually postpone picking up where I left off yesterday, opting instead to read Ebert's reviews, search for new publishing opportunities for already written (and already rejected multiple times) stories, check the Phillies' box score (when I don't care about pro baseball)... I haven't resorted to emery boarding my nails or updating my correspondence with long overdue email responses yet, but it's only 10:00. Oh yeah, and I'm doing this blog now.

Smooth. Write about putting things off. Feed the beast.

This must be what writers refer to when they preach how important it is to put something together not only during inspired times, but during the mundane. A writer writes. Billy-flipping-Crystal.

There's a dark humor sight gag here - with each new paragraph started, I'm staving off what I've declared important for yet that much longer. Which is why I'm cutting this off immedia

No comments:

Post a Comment