Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Audio philes and phobes

I've not yet located my theme song for writing. When I play sports, any of a variety of tunes can get my adrenaline pumping. Oingo Boingo is fantastic, as their thrash-pop hooks get me bopping and dashboard drumming, but most upbeat tracks wake me and work me up. Whereas, I can settle down with some classical or jazz, or an occasional Enya album. Smooth grooves have their time and place too.

But here I am at my keyboard, searching through the recent songs my randomizer selected: U2, Trout Fishing in America, Heypenny, Jeff Buckley, Nickel Creek, Ben Folds, Seal, Colin Hay, Paul Simon, Prince... Hmm. Not a female lead singer in the bunch, unless you want to count Sarah Watkins. Could it be my issue is a lack of soprano inspiration?

Historically, I enjoyed plugging in a Bobby McFerrin - his songs tread on the safe side of wordless, so I'm not distracted by lyrics. They don't require intense listening and can be enjoyed as background ambience. Today? No interest.

I suppose I could write in silence. But I'd prefer it if I didn't have to. Give me an option and it feels like I'm in control; force my hand and I lose motivation. I suppose I could always borrow an album from my co-worker's Britney Spears collection. Or I could impale my ears with a pair of scissors. Same result.

No comments:

Post a Comment