Friday, July 31, 2009

Two People Find a Watermelon

Setting: an empty stage save for a bare table with a watermelon under it.

MARY enters, sees the watermelon, and hides it under her shirt. Jane enters from the opposite side.

JANE: What are you doing?
MARY: I'm pregnant!
JANE: Is that a watermelon?
MARY: It looks like a baby.
JANE: Not once you take it out from under your shirt, it doesn't.
MARY: Why must you be such a wet blanket?
JANE: If you want to get pregnant, why don't you find a man and get knocked up?
MARY: Yeah, thanks. That's much better.
JANE: There are fertility clinics.
MARY: Maybe I don't want to be pregnant for nine months.
JANE: Good, because I doubt the watermelon would last that long.
MARY: Quit it.
JANE: What about an adoption agency?
MARY: I don't want a baby. I just want to be pregnant.
JANE: Why?
MARY: Have you ever noticed how pregnant women are treated?
JANE: I can't say I was paying attention.
MARY: People are nice to them. Complete strangers go out of their way to help.
JANE: I can get strangers to help me too.
MARY: How's that?
JANE: I still have the gun from yesterday's sketch.

Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment