Thursday, July 30, 2009

Two People Find a Gun

Setting: an empty stage, save a bare table in the middle with a gun under it.

MARY enters, passes, notices the gun, double-takes, squats to one knee. JANE enters from the other side.

JANE: Is that yours?
MARY: Nope.
JANE: What's it doing there?
MARY: I dunno. I just found it.
JANE: Is it real?
MARY: Haven't touched it.
JANE: It's probably not real.
Mary picks it up.
MARY: It's heavy.
JANE: How heavy? Is it loaded?
MARY: Can you tell by the weight?
JANE: It makes sense that you should be able to.
MARY: I've never held a gun before.
JANE: We should probably report it.
MARY: To whom?
JANE: I don't know. The lost and found?
MARY: They'll keep it for themselves.
JANE: So what should we do, take it or leave it?
MARY: It probably belongs to somebody.
JANE: Does it look like a cop's gun?
MARY: You can see it as well as I can.
JANE: Don't get snippy with me.
MARY: I'm sorry. It makes me nervous.
JANE: So leave it.
MARY: But what if someone else finds it and takes it?
JANE: That would be the point of leaving it.
MARY: Maybe I should take it and post signs.
JANE: That say what? Found gun? That's bound to create more hassle than this.
MARY: So should I take it or leave it?
JANE: Give it to me.
MARY: Why do you need a gun?
JANE: I don't. But you don't want the hassle and I'll put it somewhere safe.
MARY: Why would someone leave a gun behind? (gasps) What if it's a murder weapon.
Jane smells the barrel.
MARY: What are you doing?
JANE: You're supposed to be able to smell whether or not a gun was recently fired.
MARY: So was it?
JANE: I don't know.
MARY: What does it smell like?
JANE: Like a gun.
MARY: You're not very helpful.
JANE: I said don't get snippy with me. I have a gun, you know.

Jane carries the gun offstage, Mary follows.

Scene.



Same Setting: an empty stage, save a bare table in the middle with a gun under it.

BILL enters, passes, notices the gun, double-takes, squats to one knee. GARY enters from the other side.


BILL: Holy crap, Gary! Look what I found!

Bill picks up the gun, accidentally shoots Gary, who falls dead.

Scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment