Thursday, September 17, 2009

Buy Me a Drink?

Cold oatmeal. Cold English muffins. Cold fried eggs. A three-course breakfast gone horribly wrong. Can English muffins be eaten without being toasted? Fresh, out of the bag? For that matter, why are they best when slightly overtoasted, and a few of the tips are dark brown?

The above meal nutritionally surpasses my standard morning fare of cheddar goldfish and Coke. Orange juice is my favorite beverage, but it doesn't compliment the variety of other foods as well as I'd prefer. OJ and pretzels sounds disgusting. Heck, I have trouble switching back and forth between cereal and OJ, since the combination with milk reminds me too much of Heathers. Maybe it's just me.

Also on my top five beverage is Dogs and Suds Root Beer - ideally, the BIG DOG can (20 oz.) A quick Google search informs me D&S is an actual fast food chain in the midwest (mostly north), though I don't foresee making a road trip solely to visit one. Sadly, the lone Nashville supermarket that sold it closed about two years ago, so I'll have to find alternatives to get it again.

Hmm. Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. It's red. It's sweet. It has sasparilla. What more could you ask for? (Besides national distribution.)

Barq's French Vanilla Creme soda. Both this and the above birch beer only come in two-liter bottles. Is this a deliberate conspiracy (as compared to a coincidental conspiracy?) by soft drink manufacturers to keep me from transporting my favorite drinks in airplane carry-on luggage? Methinks the flight attendant protest too much.

Stewart's Orange Creme soda. Only good when really cold. Tastes like someone melted a creamsicle and shoved it in a bottle. Gooood stuff.

By now, you should notice a trend toward sodas once you pass OJ. There was (and remarkably, is an orange juice soda on the market: Orangina. Complete with minimal pulp. Absolutely revolting. Looks like someone backwashed in the bottle. Yuck.)

Started this blog entry two hours ago and left the window open while I did other work. Now the English muffin is soggy and feels like a cold sponge in my mouth. So this is what people are talking about when they refer to British cuisine? I understand the reputation now.

No comments:

Post a Comment