Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Odd Antennae

I have a crop of skin tags where my right shoulder connects with my neck. They itch today. But I'm hesitant to scratch them, lest I accidentally pry one off beneath a fingernail. I've done it before, and (1) they bleed a LOT, plus (2) somehow, a disproportionate number of nerves squeeze into each tiny flap of skin, so blotting away the torrent of blood stings. A long time ago, when I was feeling particularly stupid/tired/annoyed/like myself, I performed some amateur surgeries with a pair of nail clippers. To my not-so-stupid/tired/annoyed eyes, I can't determine if the tags I severed grew back; the unnecessary (and unwanted) skin garden has a variety of sizes and shapes.

I don't think there are any medical concerns beyond my wife's nausea when she gives me shoulder massages. So having a real doctor examine and remove them would be considered an elective procedure, causing me to pay. (I reached my 2009 medical deductible just before Independence Day, and I'm trying to figure out what other ailments I need now that they're free.)

In related news, I had another instance of brainfreeze today. That's nothing unusual by itself, but this one carried an odd sense of deja vu. So not only did I know that I knew the song I couldn't think of, but I felt like I couldn't remember it before. Jumping into the wayback machine before internet searching made everything easy, no one could ever remember Naked Eyes was the band that did "Always Something There to Remind Me" (technically, a remake of a Motown track). Today's tune was finally tracked down: Sundown, by Gordon Lightfoot. Weird. I knew I'd be embarrassed asking people what it was because I had to sing a few bars, but thankfully, the melody is distinguishable enough. Can't imagine I'll hear Mr. Lightfoot sampled by any rappers anytime soon. Maybe Weird Al?

I ate lunch at a restaurant with prepackaged music today. All 80s. As crappy as the music the electronic era may have produced, it's still the decade of nostalgic radio. I also recalled a talk show segment asking for a big pop star who everyone knew (and some must have enjoyed), but no one ever owned their albums. Suggestions were Kool & The Gang and Eddie Money. I figured out a third today: REO Speedwagon. They're appearing in concert, along with Styx. What must it be like to go through your entire career as an opening act?

Hey! I have a story idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment