Thursday, September 3, 2009

Exercises for a Flabby Mind

I graduated from an art college, so I have no excuse for my lame drawings. One sketching exercise I did was blind contour drawing, where I would focus on the object/model (often, my non-drawing hand) and never look away, transmitting the ideas from my brain to my right hand. (I've also said before that I have a left arm so I don't walk in circles.) Today, I recognized the similarities between blind contour drawing and typing, where I'm not supposed to look at the screen, rather expending all my focus on the page. Free writing is another exercise, where I ponder an object and write anything and everything I can about it with no editing and no stopping for sixty seconds.

I shall now attempt a blind free writing exercise. Today's topic: Inflatable pool toys.

(Closes eyes.)

I an't understand how Wal-Mart and some other big box stores are capable of selling inflatable toys for $.99 a piece, when they have hte sabig rraft transluscent, the kind you approach from below Jaws, fold in half, and they never work proerly again. Instead of placing a label on them that warrns children not to ingest the plastic (or put their head inside the packing bag), they should tell consumers not to fold their raft in haf, unless they never want it to inflate completely again. Tubes are largely the same thing, and I've laways been the guy friends recruit to blow stuff up. I do have asthma, so I'm not sur if it's the jstupid faces I make or the possibilty that I'll die that encourages my friends to encourage me to pucker my lips around some foreign plstic object nad blow until my interior cheeks hurt. (Please don't quote me out of context on that.)

(All done.)

Wow. I reread the above; besides the typos, it carries some coherency, but not enough to separate it from any other entry I've posted. Similar to the blind contour drawings, I'll most likely never use this. Unlike the corresponding sketches, I'm going to post this so everyone can see it.

Was I the only student who was embarrassed to show the nude models my final drawings? Doing the sketch wasn't the part I was ashamed of, but if they didn't think their body was configured the way I portrayed, they were probably right. On the flipside, it was one time where I could say "Whether or not it's the truth, you do look fat in this."

No comments:

Post a Comment